Friday 16 October 2009

You Have the Right to Remain Silent: DAKOTAFISH


1) Top 5 on your I-pod right now?
-Grizzly Bear "Ready, Able"

-Small Black "Weird Machines"
-Fela Kuti "Roforofo Fight"

-Andrew Bird "Not A Robot But A Ghost"

-Marvin Gaye "Inner City Blues"

2) Greatest band ever? Why?
The Beatles. Kurt Vonnegut put it nicely: "The plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.""
3) Would like to record a song with .......... ? (dead or alive, doesn't matter). Why?
Rachmaninoff? We'd have a lot of laughs in the studio.

4) How often and where do you write new material?
I feel like I'm often writing new material but not often finishing it. It takes a while to make sense out of the initial ideas. Lyrically, a song can start pretty much anywhere. For example, I started writing "Landlocked" into a notebook while holed up in a friend's house with boarded windows during a hurricane on the East Coast a few years back (just weeks before that, my apartment was destroyed by another storm... it was a weird time.) But usually, I write under more normal circumstances, you know at like a coffee shop or at home. Musically, all the work is done at our home studio, named The Animal Kingdom, here in California. I'm partnered with Collin Arthur and we're writing and recording material for the project's first full-length album now. Collin's exceptionally talented and is helping me take the material to new places. I'm excited about the results. We aim to have it finished in early 2010.
5) Best band on Earbiter?
Hmmm, they are all so good.
6) When are you going to play in Amsterdam?
Hopefully soon! Do you have a spare couch?

Home: oorbijter

Thank you Dakotafish for supporting Earbiter!

1 comment: